You can add different types of documents to an API. Proper documentation helps API publishers to market their APIs better and sustain competition. Follow the steps below to add documentation to an API using the API Publisher Web interface.
- Log in to WSO2 API Publisher with a user who has been assigned the creator role. For more information on creating users and assigning roles, refer to section User Management.
- The currently available APIs appear on the All APIs window. Select the API to which you want to add documentation to. For example,
- Select the Docs tab of the API and click the Add New Document link.
- Add the following information to create a document for the API.
- Name: Name of the document. This is mandatory.
- Summary: A short description of the document which will appear in the API store.
- Type: There are several document types available as follows. If required, a new type can also be introduced.
- How To
- Samples and SDK
- Public forum / Support forum ( external link only)
- API message formats
- Source: Whether the document is stored inline or provided via a URL.
- In-line: Documentation hosted in the API Manager itself. For inline documentation, you can edit the contents directly from the API publisher interface.
- URL: If you already have comprehensive documentation managed by an external configuration management system, you can simply link to those file references (URLs) through the API Manager rather than importing them to the server.
Click the Add Document button to complete.
- The added document shows on the same window. Click the Edit Content link associated with it.
- The embedded editor opens allowing you to edit the document content.
All documents have unique URLs to help improve SEO support. After editing the API, publish it for it to be available to external parties through the API Store. For instructions on publishing an API, refer to section Managing an API Life Cycle.
Next, see Adding Documentation Using Swagger.