Application logs are records of events invoked by an application or a program running in a system. The application logs of a running Carbon instance display the log events of its deployed web applications and web services. The Application Logs page in the BRS management console has been introduced as a fine-grained view of system logs. While system logs provide a holistic view of log events of the entire system, the application logs page allows the user to view only logs belonging to a selected application.
The log files can be retrieved in two ways:
- If syslog-ng is configured, log files are taken from the remote location where the log files are hosted using syslog-ng server.
- If syslog-ng is not configured, log files are taken from the local file system (super-tenant or Stand-alone apps).
For more information on logs and how to change log properties according to your preferences, see the Logging section.
Statistics on application logs are provided by the following feature:
Name : WSO2 Carbon - Logging Management Feature
Identifier : org.wso2.carbon.logging.mgt.feature.group
If the above feature is not bundled in your product by default, you can install it using the instructions in the Feature Management section.
Follow the instructions below to access statistics on application logs.
- Log on to the product's management console and click Monitor in the left navigation pane.
Click Application Logs to open the Application Logs page. It displays logs of a selected application in a bottom-up manner as shown in the example below.
The log messages displayed on this page are obtained from a memory appender. Therefore, the severity (log level) of the displayed log messages are equal to or higher than the threshold of the memory appender. For more information on appenders, loggers, their log levels and logging, see http://logging.apache.org/log4j
- To view the logs of a specific deployed web service or web application, select the required service/application name from the drop-down list shown below.
- If you want to view only logs of a specific category, select the required category from the View list shown below.
The available categories are:
- TRACE - Trace messages.
- DEBUG - Debug messages.
- INFO - Information messages.
- WARN - Warning messages.
- ERROR - Error messages.
- FATAL - Fatal error messages.
To view a specific log, enter a keyword (or a part of a keyword) in the Search Logs field and click Search as shown below. When the search criteria is entered, Custom is displayed in the View field.
The location of the log files on disk is specified in the log4j.configuration file.