The manual way of provisioning Carbon is by dropping bundles and configuration files that belong to a feature. This method is not recommended since it can cause errors. Besides, finding the exact set of components and configuring files is a complex task. Components have inter-dependencies with other components. Some components depend on specific versions of other components.
As a result, to overcome these issues WSO2 has the Equinox P2 integrated with Carbon. It enables user-friendly provisioning capabilities by allowing users to download WSO2 Carbon or any other WSO2 product and simply extend them by installing various features.
If you are on Windows, be sure to point the
-Dcarbon.home property in the product's startup script (
wso2server.bat) to the product's distribution home (e.g.,
-Dcarbon.home=C:\Users\VM\Desktop\wso2as-5.2.1). Alternatively, you can also set the
carbon.home as a system property in Windows. Then, restart the server. Without this setting, you might not be able to install features through the management console.
Follow the instructions below to install new features to a WSO2 product:
- Log into the product's Management Console.
- On the Configure menu, click Features.
The Feature Management page will appear.
- Click Available Features.
- Select a relevant repository.
If no repositories have been added or the required repository is not available, add a new repository. For more information see, Adding a Repository.
- Some repositories contain multiple versions of features. If you are only interested in the latest versions, select the Show only the latest versions option.
- A feature category is a logical grouping of the features that constitute a particular Carbon based product. Selecting the Group features by category option enables you to easily view and select the entire list of features of a particular product at once. For more information, see Feature Categorization. If you do not select this option when looking for features, you will see an uncategorized, flat feature list from which individual features can be selected separately.
- Click Find Features. The available features will be listed.
Select the features you wish to install.
To find a particular feature, you can use the search function. Enter the name of a feature (or a part of the name) and press Enter.
This search will return only available features; excluding the ones already installed.
- Click Install.
- Verify the feature to be installed and click Next.
- Read and accept the terms of the license agreement.
- Click Next.
The installation process starts. It may take a few minutes to download the necessary components.
- Once the installation process is complete, click Finish.
- Restart the server for the changes to take effect. Based on the newly added features, you will be able to see the additional functionalities.
Viewing feature information
When features of a repository are loaded, you can install them or view the corresponding feature details by clicking the More Info link associated with the respective feature. The Feature Information page will then appear with the following information:
- License Agreement
Familiarize yourself with the information and click Back to load the previous page.