Microsoft Excel is one of the most popular spreadsheet formats. An Excel sheet can be used as a data source for creating data services in WSO2 Data Services Server.
About the sample
Products.xls file, stored in the
<DSS_HOME>/samples/resources/ folder is used as the datasource to demonstrate this sample data service. This datasource contains details of the products manufactured in an automobile company. Products refer to cars/motorocyles. The data table has the following columns: "ID", "Name", "Classification" and "Price" (same as in the CSV Sample). This sample data service contains two operations:
- getProducts - Lists all the products that are manufactured in the company. Each result record will contain "ID" and "Name" fields.
- getProductClassifications - Lists all the products along with the classifications. The result is presented with two records: "Name" and "classification".
See Data Services and Resources for a definition of data services and operations.
Building the sample
The sample data service named
ExcelSampleService should be deployed using the instructions in Samples Setup.
Running the sample
The sample service can be run using the tool, which is bundled with the WSO2 Data Services Server, or a code-generated java client sample as discussed in the section.
Follow the steps below to demonstrate this functionality using the TryIt tool:
- Log in to the management console of your server and click List under Services in the navigator. The
ExcelSampleServicewill be listed here.
- Click Try this service to open the TryIt tool.
- Select the "getProducts" operation and click Send to execute the operation. You will get a product list in the response as shown below.