This tutorial will guide you on how to expose data in a CSV file as a data service by using the Create New Data Service wizard. We will create a data service that can search for data on the file and insert data into the file.
We will use the
Products.csv file that is shipped with WSO2 EI by default. The
Products.csv file stored in the
<EI_HOME>/samples/data-services/resources folder contains data about products (cars/motorocyles) that are manufactured in an automobile company. The data table has the following columns: "ID", "Name", "Classification" and "Price".
Follow the steps given below to create a data service for this datasource.
Start the Create New Data Service wizard
Now, let's start creating the data service from scratch:
Add a CSV file as the datasource
You can add a CSV file as the datasource as explained below.
- Click Add New Datasource and enter values as shown below.
- Follow the instructions below to fill the datasource details.
- Datasource Id: Enter an ID for you datasource. We will enter CSV as the datasource Id.
- Datasource Type: Select CSV as the datasource type from the list. You can now specify the details of the CSV file.
- CSV File Location: Specify the path to your CSV file. In this tutorial, we are using a sample CSV file that is stored in the following location of your product distribution:
- Column Separator: Add 'comma' as the column separator.
- Start Reading From Row: Specify 2 to start reading from the second row.
- Contains Column Header Row: Select true from the list.
- Header row: Enter '1' as the value.
- Save the datasource.
- Click Next to go to the Queries screen.
Define a query for the datasource
Now let's start writing a query for searching for data in the CSV datasource. The query will specify the data that should be fetched, and the format that should be used to display data when the query is invoked.
- Click Add New Query to open the Add New Query screen.
- In the Query ID field, enter an identifier for the query. We will enter Q1.
- In the Datasource field, select the datasource for which you are going to write a query. Select the CSV datasource that you created previously.
- Now let's specify output mappings, which will determine how the result from your query will be presented when the query is invoked. The sample CSV datasource we are using contains three columns: ID, Name, Category and Price. We will create an output mapping for each of these columns.
- In the Output type field, specify the format in which the query results should be presented. You can select XML, JSON or RDF. We will use XML for this tutorial.
- In the Grouped by element field, specify a grouping for all the output mappings. This will be the XML element that will group the query result. We will enter Products.
- In the Row Name field, specify the XML element that should group each individual result. Enter Product in this field.
- Click Add New Output Mapping to start creating the output mapping for the ID column. Enter values as shown below:
- Click Add to save the output mapping. You will now have one output mapping listed for the Q1 query.
Create output mappings for the remaining columns given below.
Mapping Type Element Name Datasource Type Datasource Column Name Parameter Type Schema Type Element Category Column Classification SCALAR string Element Price Column Price SCALAR string Element Name Column Name SCALAR string
Find out more about defining Output Mappings.
- Click Next to go to the Operations screen.
Define an operation to invoke the query
To invoke the query, you need to define an operation.
- Click Add New Operation to open the following screen.
- In the Operation Name field, enter a name for the operation.
- In the Query ID field, select the query that you created.
- Save the operation.
Finish creating the data service
Once you have defined the operation, click Finish to complete the data service creation process. You will now be taken to the Deployed Services screen, which shows all the data services deployed on the server.
Invoking your data service
You can try the data service you created by using the TryIt tool that is in your product by default.
- Go to the Deployed Services screen.
- Click the Try this service link for the CSV data service. The TryIt tool will open with the CSV service.
- Select the operation that you created previously and click Send.
- The result of the Q1 query will be published.