In order to install WSO2 Gadget Server from both binary and source distributions, it is necessary to install Java Development Kit (JDK) first. This page contains instructions for installing the JDK for Windows.
See GS Installation Prerequisites for the list of all applications necessary to install and work with WSO2 GS, and links to them.
Check if JDK is Already Installed
If you are not sure whether you have JDK installed, please confirm it by doing the following:
- Run a complete directory search (using the "All File and Folders" option if available) on your drives for the occurrence of "jdk" in the filename.
- If your results retrieve a folder with the name "jdk" immediately followed by a series of version numbers (for example, jdk1.6.0_27), then your JDK is installed. You should double-check the contents of this folder to ensure that the installation files are intact. If you are unsure about this, proceed to reinstall the JDK. Otherwise, proceed to Verify JAVA_HOME Set Up to check that your JAVA_HOME environment variable is set correctly.
- If you do not retrieve a result like this, then it is possible that your JDK has not been installed.
Follow the instructions below to install Java Development Kit.
Step 1. Download Java Development Kit (JDK)
1. Open a Web browser and access the following URL:
2. The link opens Oracle Java download page.
3. From the "Java platfrom (JDK)" versions available, select the latest, compatible version. (The latest compatible version at the moment is JDK 6).
4. It is necessary to read and accept the license agreement for downloading JDK.
5. Choose the JDK installation pack for Microsoft Windows compatible with your system.
For example, jdk-6u25-windows-i586.exe
6. The "Opening jdk..." dialog box opens. Click "Save."
Step 2. Install Java Development Kit (JDK)
1. After the download is complete, launch the downloaded EXE file.
2. If a warning message is displayed, click "OK" to execute the file.
3. Another security warning on potential risk of running an EXE file may be displayed. Click "Run".
4. Installation Wizard window opens. Click the "Next" button.
5. The next window shows optional features to select while installing the program. It also allows changing the installation directory, in case the user wants to install JDK to a special location. In case the user has no special requirements to these optional features, it is recommended to leave them default. Click the "Next" button.
6. The installation process starts and the progress is shown.
7. Then the user is asked to chose the destination folder. If there is no specific need to change the destination location, it is recommended to leave it default. Click the "Next" button.
8. Installation of JDK to the specified folder continues.
9. After the installation is complete, a notification is displayed that JDK is successfully installed. Click "Finish" to finalize the installation.
JAVA_HOME Variable Set-up Needed
After the Java Development Kit (JDK) is installed, check that the JAVA_HOME environment variable is set correctly. This is necessary for WSO2 GS installation.
Proceed to Setting up JAVA_HOME section for details on the JAVA_HOME environment variable set up, and to Verifying JAVA_HOME Set Up for verification.
Step 3. Ready to Install WSO2 GS
Proceed to the Installing GS on Windows from Binary Distribution section for the instructions on WSO2 GS installation on Windows. In case of GS installation from source distribution, ensure that Apache Maven is installed. See Installing Apache Maven on Windows section for the instructions on Apache Maven installation.