Prior to installing any WSO2 Carbon based product, it is necessary to have the appropriate prerequisite software installed on your system. Verify that the computer has the supported operating system and development platforms before starting the installation.
- ~ 2 GB minimum
- ~ 512 MB heap size. This is generally sufficient to process typical SOAP messages but the requirements vary with larger message sizes and the number of messages processed concurrently.
- ~ 1 GB, excluding space allocated for log files and databases.
Operating Systems/Databases/User Stores
- All WSO2 Carbon-based products are Java applications that can be run on any platform that is Oracle JDK 7/8 compliant. Also, we do not recommend OpenJDK as we do not support it or test our products with it.
- All WSO2 Carbon-based products are generally compatible with most common DBMSs. The embedded H2 database is suitable for development, testing, and some production environments. For most enterprise production environments, however, we recommend you use an industry-standard RDBMS such as Oracle, PostgreSQL, MySQL, MS SQL, etc. For more information, see Working with Databases. Additionally, we do not recommend the H2 database for use as a user store.
- WSO2 Identity Server is shipped with a default embedded Apache DS. However, in a production environment, it is recommended to use an LDAP like OpenLDAP, due to scalability issues that exist with Apache DS.
- For environments that WSO2 products are tested with, see Environments Tested with WSO2 Products.
- If you have difficulty in setting up any WSO2 product in a specific platform or database, please contact us.
The following applications are required for running the product and its samples or for building from the source code.
The applications marked with an asterisk * are mandatory.
Running the product
These applications are mandatory and are required to run the binary distribution of the WSO2 product. The binary distribution contains the binary files for both MS Windows, and Linux-based operating systems. It is recommended for most users.
Oracle Java SE Development Kit (JDK)*
JDK 7 or 8.
Some updates of JDK 1.8 (for example, JDK1.8.0_151) are affected by a known issue related to GZIP decoding. Until this issue is fixed, we recommend one of the following approaches:
- Use either JDK1.8.0_144 or JDK1.8.0_077 updates. We have verified that these versions are not affected by the known issue.
- Alternatively, you can disable GZIP decoding for your product by following the steps given below. This will ensure that your product is not affected by the known issue.
- Open the
catalina-server.xml file from the
compression parameter (under each of the connector configurations) to false as shown below:
- Restart the server.
- Oracle and IBM JRE 1.7 are also supported when running (not building) WSO2 products.
- We do not recommend OpenJDK as we do not support it or test our products with it.
NOTE: On Windows Server 2003, you must not go below the medium security level in Internet Explorer 6.x.
Running samples and building from source
These applications are required for building the product from the source distribution, and compiling and running product samples.
- To enable the product's JMS transport and try out JMS samples if any. The ActiveMQ client libraries must be installed in the product's classpath before you can enable the JMS transport.
5.5.0 or later
If you use any other JMS provider (e.g., Apache Qpid), install any necessary libraries and/or components.
- To compile and run the product samples.
1.7.0 or later
- To build the product from the source distribution (both JDK and Apache Maven are required).
If you are installing by downloading and extracting the binary distribution (as recommended for most users) instead of building from the source code, you do not need to install Maven.