The manual way of provisioning Carbon is to add the bundles and configuration files that belong to a feature in to the product directory. This method is not recommended since it can cause errors. Besides, finding the exact set of components and configuration files is a complex task. Components have inter-dependencies with other components. Some components depend on specific versions of other components.
In order to overcome these issues, WSO2 has Equinox P2 integrated with Carbon. It enables user-friendly provisioning capabilities by allowing users to download WSO2 Carbon or any other WSO2 product and simply extend them by installing various features.
If you are on Windows, be sure to point the
-Dcarbon.home property in the product's startup script (
wso2server.bat) to the product's distribution home (e.g.,
-Dcarbon.home=C:\Users\VM\Desktop\wso2as-5.2.1). Then, restart the server. If not, you might not be able to install features through the management console.
Follow the instructions below to install new features to any product of the WSO2 products stack.
- Log in to the product's management console and click Features in the Configure menu as shown below.
- The Feature Management screen opens. The Available Features tab allows you to search for available features in repositories. You can select a repository from the drop-down list. If there is no added repository, see the instructions on how to add a new repository.
The following options can be selected:
- Show only the latest versions: Some repositories contain multiple versions of features. If you are only interested in the latest versions, click Show only the latest versions.
- Group features by category: A feature category is a logical grouping of the features which constitute a particular Carbon-based product. The Group Features by Category option enables you to easily view and select the entire list of features of a particular product at once. For example, the features required to install WSO2 Data Services Server is grouped under the 'Data Service Server' feature category as shown below.
If you clear these check boxes when finding features, you will see an uncategorized, flat feature list from which, individual features can be selected separately.
Once the repository and options are selected, click Find Features. You will see a list of all features. Select the ones you want to add them by selecting the check boxes.
To find a particular feature, you can use the search function. Enter the name of a feature (or a part of the name) and click Enter.
This search will return only the available features, excluding the ones already installed.
- Once done, click Install.
- The Install Details screen appears. Verify the provided information and click Next.
- Read and accept the terms of license agreement.
- The installation process starts. It may take a few minutes to download the necessary components. Once the installation process is complete, click Finish and restart the server for the changes to take effect.
- You can see the functionality added by new features in the management console. For example, the Databases menu appears on the navigator when the Admin Console feature is installed.
View Feature Information: When features of a repository are loaded, you can install them or view the details of particular ones. To view the details, click the More Info link associated with each feature as shown below.
When the link is selected, the Feature Information screen appears, with the following information: Name, Identifier, Version, Provider, Description, Copyright, License Agreement.
- Once you are familiar with the information click Back to load the previous page.