- Start TCPMon. Follow the instructions on Starting TCPMon.
- Give 8081 (the listening port of TCPMon) in the Listen Port field (This could be any unused port in your local machine).
- Give the address of the back end server as the target hostname. For example, if you are monitoring messages sent to www.apache.org, enter this web address as the hostname.
- Give 80 as the Target Porttarget port, which is the listening port of www.apache.org.
- Click Add to save the setting.
- Now, point the browser to 'localhost:8081' instead of www.apache.org.
- A new tab in TCPMon will indicate the 8081 port. You can view the requests and responses on passing through TCPMon as shown below.
The options at the bottom of the screen can be used to have the messages in XML format (useful in debugging Web services), to save and resend the messages and also to switch the layout of the message windows.