Before adding a new workflow,
- On the Main tab in the Management Console, click Add under Workflow Definitions in the Manage section.
- Enter the name and description of the workflow and click Next.
Set the levels of approval that are required. For instance, you may require that users with a Manager role must first approve user accounts followed by approval from users with a SeniorManager role. To set up this scenario, you must do the following.
- Add an approval level by clicking the Add Approval Step button. Each approval step represents a user approving an account of another user. The user that approves the account can have a specific role or can simply be a specific user. In this scenario, users assigned to a specific role can do the account approval.
- You can search for the role in a specific user store by selecting the Search Roles radio button. Alternatively, you can search for a specific user by selecting the Search Users radio button.
- Select the user store that your user or role resides in by choosing it from the Select Domain drop-down.
- Enter the role name or username and click Search Roles.
- Select the check-box associated with the username or role name that you require and click Add Selected Roles or Add Selected Users.
Click Next to move to the next step.
The Workflow Template seen above defines the template for a specific workflow. A template will have a specific flow where the parameters can be customized (eg. Send an email notification for some users, get approval from a user to continue). Identity Server supports custom templates that can be deployed as OSGi services. More information on writing workflow templates can be found here.
Fill in the deployment information of the template as described below. Use the screen capture as a guide for the sample values to enter.
Attribute Description BPS Profile Name of the required BPS Profile. This field defines the deployment type of the workflow template. Other custom execution deployment types are also supported, where you will be able to select the desired executor for a given use case. (i.e Dropdown will be appeared in the UI to select the required executor). Task Subject Subject of the workflow request for approval Task Detail Body of the Workflow request for approval Note
The same template can have multiple deployment types (eg. A notification template may have implementations with sending emails or sending human task notifications), whereas in some templates there will only be a single implementation.
- Click Finish to complete the process. You will be able to view the workflow you just added, by navigating to Workflow Definitions > List under the Manage Section.