Welcome to the WSO2 Gadget Server Documentation
The WSO2 Gadget Server (GS) is a 100% open source, lean and light-weight, enterprise-grade gadget repository and portal solution available under the Apache Software License 2.0. It provides a presentation platform for enterprise mashups and services. The portal platform enables re-purposing and unification of existing services in an organization's Service Oriented Architecture.
The WSO2 Gadget Server's enterprise gadget repository allows business users to pick and choose additional, recommended gadgets to be added to their individual portal pages. This repository helps enterprises govern the gadgets exposed to the end-users, while the users get to rate and comment on each gadget found in the repository.
Key Features of the WSO2 Gadget Server
- Enterprise-class Portal Interface : Users get to organize gadgets in a familiar portal interface. Sets of gadgets can be organised using tabs. Individual gadgets can be moved between tabs as well as cloning an entire tab to be used as the foundation for a new tab.
- Enterprise Gadget Repository : Organizations can maintain a central repository of gadgets. Portal users can browse and add gadgets from this repository to their individual portals, while rating and commenting on individual gadgets.
- Anonymous Mode : Users can experience most of the Portal's functionality 'excluding' the gadget Repository even before registration and sign in. All data in this mode will be stored in the user's browser.
- OAuth Support for Gadgets : Gadget Server enables to add OAuth keys for gadgets to communicate with external APIs such as Google GData, Twitter etc.
- Inter-gadget Communication : Gadget Server allows inter-gadget communication.
- I18n Support for Gadget : Gadget Server supports internationalization of gadgets.
- User Registration, Sign-in and External User Stores : User registration and sign in can be done using OpenID or Infocards in addition to the traditional user name and password based scheme. Also the Gadget can be integrated to a external user stores such as LDAP and AD.
- Management Console : Helps configure and manage the server, its users and the Enterprise Gadget Repository via an intuitive browser based administrative interface.
- Custom Layouts for Tabs : Gadget Server users can choose a desired layout form six different layouts when creating a new tab.
- Role Based Permission : Gadgets can be restricted based on users role.
- Make SOAP Request Support : Not only REST style requests, gadgets written for WSO2 Gadget Server can consume SOAP only web service via make SOAP Request.
- Theming Support : Gadget Server users can create custom templates for the portal UI, and add them via Gadget Server management console.
- Gadget Archive Deployment : With WSO2 Carbon Application deployment, users can, write gadgets using Carbon Studio and deploy the gadget archive in to the Gadget server.
- Based on Carbon 3.2.0 : Gadget Server release is based on Carbon "Middleware a' la carte" which is an OSGi-based SOA platform version 3.2.0 by WSO2 Inc.
- Optimized Performance : Gadget Server users can now experience better performance in dashboard and gadget loading due to asynchronous gadget rendering.
- Search-enabled Gadget Repository : Allows users to search for gadgets inside the gadget repository.
- Improved UI to Pick Gadgets : Gadget Server users can now pick gadget XML from registry, File system or from external repositories.
- Enhanced Permission Model for Theming : Now gadget server supports new permission model for theming usage where the administrator could set permission for different users to use different themes.
- Improved Gadget Source Editor : Now users can edit gadget source at the gadget repository itself using the user friendly gadget source editor.
For a list of known issues in the WSO2 Gadget Server version 1.4.0, refer to the following links in the WSO2 Oxygen Tank:
Community and Support
You can communicate with the WSO2 Gadget Server developers directly using the following mailing lists:
- Developer List : email@example.com | Subscribe | Mail Archive
- User List : firstname.lastname@example.org | Subscribe | Mail Archive
WSO2 encourages you to report issues and enhancement requests for the WSO2 Gadget Server using the publicJIRA. You can also track their resolutions and comment on the progress.
Questions can be raised using the WSO2 Gadget Server Forum for developers and users.
WSO2 also offers a variety of development and production support programs, ranging from Web-based support during normal business hours, to premium 24x7 phone support. For additional support information please refer to http://wso2.com/support.
About the Documentation
About the Documentation
This is the official, released WSO2 Gadget Server Documentation, hosted at: http://docs.wso2.org/wiki/display/GS140/WSO2+Gadget+Server+Documentation.
The purpose of this documentation is to provide you with information for installingsetting up, configuring and implementing the WSO2 Gadget Server 1. 4.0. To find a specific topic in a particular section, click on the topic name in the Table of Contents.
Preparing to Print
To export the entire documentation, a selected portion or a single page to PDF format, select Browse -> Advanced menu and you will see several export options on the left hand side panel.
To download a PDF of this document or a selected part of it, click here (generate only one PDF at a time). To export to a different format, click the Browse menu at the top of this screen, click Space Operations, and then select an Export option.
Getting Started for First-Time Users
WSO2 Gadget Server documentation home in wiki format.