Users are consumers who interact with your enterprise's applications, databases or any other systems. These users can be persons, devices or applications/programs within or outside of the enterprise's network. Since these users interact with internal systems and access data, the need to define which user is allowed to do what is critical. This is called user management.
Follow the steps below to create users and assign them to roles via the admin console. Also, if you want to authenticate users via e-mail, social media, multiple user store attributes, see Maintaining Logins and Passwords.
Log in to the Management Console and click Add under Users and Roles in the Main menu.
Click Add New User.
The Add User page opens. Provide the username and password and click Next.
Tip: The Domain drop-down list contains all user stores configured in the system. By default, you only have the PRIMARY user store. To configure secondary user stores, see Configuring Secondary User Stores.
Select the roles you want to assign to the user. In this example, we assign the
creatorrole defined in the previous section.
By default, all WSO2 products have the following roles configured:
- Admin - Provides full access to all features and controls. By default, the admin user is assigned to both the Admin and the Everyone roles.
- Internal/Everyone - Every new user is assigned to this role by default. It does not include any permissions.
- Internal/System - This role is not visible in the Management Console.
More roles may be configured by default, depending on the type of features installed in your product.
Click Finish to complete. The new use appears in the Users list.
From here, you can change the user's password, assign different roles or delete it.
Adding a user to access the Admin Application
The Admin application is intended to be used by API Manager admins. The admin user has a special permissions in, /permission/admin/manage/apim_admin. If a new user needs to access the admin application, follow the steps below:
- Create a user.
- Create a new role. For more information, see Adding User Roles.
- For the new role created in step 2 above, assign permissions /permission/admin/manage/apim_admin and /permission/admin/configure/login.
- Assign the role created in step 2, to the user created in step 1.
Now this user would be able to login and perform administrative tasks using the admin application.