Eventing support is provided by the WS-Eventing Web services standard. When a data service request or response triggers an event, the subscribers listening to those events receive notifications. The criteria for triggering an event as well as the destination to which the event notifications should be sent are defined per data service query. When a certain event-trigger is activated, emails will be sent to all the respective subscribers.
You can create an event trigger from a query as explained below.
Before you begin
Update email configurations: Open the
axis2_client.xml file from the
<EI_HOME>/conf/axis2folder and add the following XML element:
Set up a datasource:
- Install the MySQL server.
Download the JDBC driver for MySQL from here and copy it to your
Create the following database: Company
Create the ACCOUNT table in the Company database:
Enter the following data into the ACCOUNT table:
Enabling notifications for a query in a data service
Let's create a data service using the Create Data Service wizard:
- Log into the management console of WSO2 EI and click Create under Data Service.
- Add a name for the data service and go to the next step.
- Connect to the Company database that you defined above.
- Click Next to go to the Queries screen.
- Click Add New Query to specify the query details:
Enter UpdateAccBalance as the query ID.
Enter the following SQL dialect:
- Click Generate Input Mapping to automatically generate input mappings for the AccountID and Balance fields.
At the bottom of the page you will find the Events section:
Click Manage Events and add a new event as shown below:
The fields in the Add Events screen are explained below.
Event Id: account_balance_low_trigger
The ID used for identifying the event-trigger used in data services queries.
Represents an XPath expression that is run against the XML message presented. That is, the request/response message. When this evaluation returns
true, the event is triggered.
Target Topic: product_stock_low_topic
The topic to which the event notifications are published.
Event Sink URL: mailto:email@example.com
A subscription can be any endpoint that is complaint with WS-Eventing. For example, you can use an SMTP transport to send a message to a mail inbox, where an email address is given as the subscription. Here, many subscriptions can be defined for the given topic.
Save the event.
- Save the UpdateAccBalance query.
Create an operation for the UpdateAccBalance query as shown below.
Save the Operation.
Click Finish to navigate to the Deployed Services window from where you can manage data services.
Invoking the data service
You can try the data service you created by using the TryIt tool that is in your product by default.
- Go to the Deployed Services screen.
- Click Try this Service to open the data service from the TryIt tool.
- You will find the new operation, which you have created.
- Enter a value less than 200 as the balance and click on Send.
- You should receive an email when this happens.